THE PIONEER VILLAGE of Pittsburgh grew quickly. In 1769, William Penn's sons opened a land office in Pittsburgh. They quickly had thousands of applications for 300-acre farms. In 1784, Colonel George Woods was hired by the Penn family to lay out the street plans for the triangle-shaped town of Pittsburgh. His street plan started at the fort and included all the land up to Grant's Hill (the area known today as Grant Street). Throughout the town were several ponds. The largest was Hogg's Pond, which is where Macy's Department Store is now located. Dirt taken from Grant's Hill was used to fill in the pond so buildings could be built there.

Besides ponds, there were log houses with plots of land surrounding them. Colonel Woods proposed widening the lanes between those log houses into larger streets. The settlers in those houses objected strongly to changing their properties. They were afraid that their property value would decrease with these changes. For this reason, instead of establishing an orderly grid of streets of the same size, Colonel Woods left the settler's buildings and lots where they were and laid out streets between them with different widths to accommodate the existing properties. Even today, there are narrow streets of varying widths in the triangle section of downtown Pittsburgh. Mr. Woods did add Liberty and Penn Streets (now Avenues) to run parallel to the Allegheny River through what had been the garden of Fort Pitt. He also created a market square called the Diamond (now called Market Square).

BY 1792 IN PITTSBURGH, there were:

1 clock and watchmaker

2 coopers (barrel makers)

1 skin dresser and breeches maker (made
   buckskin and cow hide clothing)

2 tanners and curriers (made animal
   hides into leather)

4 cabinetmakers

2 hatters

2 weavers

5 blacksmiths

5 shoemakers

3 saddlers

1 malster and brewer (The Point Brewery)

2 tinners (made tin cups, plates, kitchen
   tools, candle holders, lanterns, etc.)

3 wheelwrights (wagon wheels)

1 stocking weaver

1 rope maker

2 whitesmiths (people who finished and  
   polished iron and tin pieces)

The ropemakers used a tool called
a "wimble" for turning braids of cord
into rope.

l l

A map of Pittsburgh drawn in 1795

Return to Book Excerpts >